Change of summer holiday plans

Jandy100

Summer holiday this year was initially going to a Rock festival in July at Knebworth. Unfortunately, it got cancelled due to poor ticket sales.

Luckily, the £700 VIP package bought has been refunded in full and as one door of opportunity shuts another has opened.... As luck has it I have now found and booked a week at a very remote cottage where the nearest village is (Newton Stewart) is 20 miles away, and just on the boundary of Galloway Forest Park.

Has anyone been to this location, and maybe suggest some of the best places to go for star gazing?

Thanks

Andy

Milton Keynes

I've been to Newton Stewart and it is in a rural area and dark - apart from in summer. If you go north in summer you move nearer to the midnight sun. You won't get to see it in Scotland, of course, but if you want darkness in summer (northern hemisphere) then you need to go south. I live down at Latitude 44 where the shortest night of the year still has about 4 hours of astronomical darkness.

Olly

Archived