Astrophotography beginner setup.

Hello.

As the title says I’m trying to piece together a beginner’s astrophotography setup. At this time I have my Canon T3i (600D) and I’m looking to find something that’ll help me get started as far as taking photographs of the stars/moon. I would also like to, later, move onto taking deep space/planetary photographs at some point.

So I guess my main question is what type of setup would I need to photograph the stars and the moon and what setup would I need later to take deep space/planetary photographs. Budget isn’t really much of an issue at this point in time.

Hi Ryker... & welcome to the forum

the set up needed for 'snaps' of the moon & planets is completely different to one for deep space.

As a photographer you will know the need for a steady tripod when doing long-exposure stuff... it's no different for astro-photgraphy... you need to start with a sturdy tripod..heavy duty equatorial mount(with tracking) & then choose your 'scope or 'scopes.

The HEQ5Pro is a good starting mount..& has the 'auto-guider' port if you intend to use a guide 'scope.

I'd kick off with some reading. Steve Richards' Making Every Photon Count is available from FLO. In a nutshell you need a decent autoguided EQ mount, HEQ5 minimum as above. That will want an autoguider (say ST80 guidescope and QHY5 camera.)

You can start with camera lens on that or use a scope. If beginning keep to a short focal length because it makes guiding much easier. Look for good colour correction and a focal ratio of 7 or faster. One of the many good small apochromatic refractors is ideal. You'll benefit from Photoshop CS2 on, plus an astro calibration and stacking programme. DSS is free. I use AstroArt 5.

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Hi Ryker,

Dobby is right when he says the HEQ5 is the recommended minimum mount required for AP, if you can afford that and a SW ED80, total £1000, I'd say go for it.

You would still only be able to take limited exposure lengths, so you would also have to look at guiding, which requires a guide camera, interface and a PC/Laptop, plus the PHD and Backyard EOS software.

If you can't stretch to the budget above, people on here are producing great images with SW150PDS/eq3-3 and SW200p/eq5 setups.

Edit - And as Olly says most of the info. you need will be in Steve Richards's book (it's a good book and easy to read).

Perry.

Archived