Blue tube 200P - which dslr?

So, having acquired a small modified missile launcher (aka motorised Tal-2 mount) to sit my 200p OTA on (pending delivery of some bolts), my thoughts have turned to what bits to add. I've got a nice wide 38mm EP, a serviceable 25mm and will look to get an 8mm planetary.

I'd also like to get a dslr body to do some basic ds astrophotography but am aware of the issues with finding focus. I'm sure I once read that people were getting focus with a particular camera on the original focuser but can't recall which dslr they were using (it was an old one, iirc) - can anyone help? Cheers.

Hi, I don't think that it's anything to do with the camera, although I might well be wrong. I couldn't get focus with my Canon 1000D, and had to change the focuser, which I got 2nd hand from Astro B&S, in the end I only needed to change the eyepiece holder, as it was lower profile (I just swapped them over). Apparently though, you can also move the primary mirror up in the tube in order to achieve focus, which I'm sure someone here could explain!

Cheers Catweazel, thanks for that - and thanks for the tip. I know the issue is with the olde focusser but I thought some older cannon dslrs worked okay with it, like 300D, 350D old. It could be entirely my faulty memory and being optimistic that there's a mod-free route! :)

Just read your (vey similar) thread Catweazel - very useful! Moving the primary sounds the best option for me, it's something I've already done with my TAL-1 in order to get focus with 'normal' EPs so it should be a similar process. Cheers.

Archived