collimation tools laser v cheshire.

Having recently taken delivery of the Sky-Watcher 250PX,this thread makes a good read as I'm about to check the collimation of my telescope. I bought the Cheshire Collimator based on good reviews from users of the same make and model of reflector.

Just trying to decide as which guide to use. The Sky-watcher instruction manual details the process in 2 pages, the Astro Baby's Guide to Collmination is 10 pages with photographs of the Cheshire Collimator being used.

Before I make a start, I would appreciate a pointer as to which way to proceed.

I found astrobaby's guide very clear and easy to follow. as she states early in the guide, don't assume anything is out. the first time i collimated it was more of a check as i found it pretty good "out of the box". HTH

Scott

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

auspom - Thanks for the reply.

I will make a start with astrobaby's guide now, having made a slight error :-(

I made a collimating cap out of a 35mm camera film canister as suggested in the Skywatcher manual,made a hole in the lid and cut the bottom off.

My cutting was'nt as good as it should have been,when placing it in the focuser I could see the edge of the secondary mirror.

Thinking the mirror was way out, I made some adjustments that was'nt required.When I placed the Cheshire Colliminator in the focuser the secondary mirror is now "miles out"

I think it's going to be a long night putting this right.:clouds2:

This guide is simple and describes the steps in order. http://www.propermotion.com/jwreed/ATM/Collimate/Chesire.htm

The AB guide basically says the same thing, but there are a variety of extra practical details in it. The bottom line is that you need to iterate back and forth until everything looks good. The primary tilt adjustment is the most critical thing. The next most critical is the secondary tilt adjustment.

Collimation process now completed went quite well considering this was my first time.

Thanks to Astro Baby's "A simple Guide to Collimation a Newtonian Reflector" well documented procedure.

Collimation process now completed went quite well considering this was my first time.

Thanks to Astro Baby's "A simple Guide to Collimation a Newtonian Reflector" well documented procedure.

good stuff, not so scary is it:D

Archived