Skywatcher 200p Primary Mirror Problem?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like a snail trail? I've cleaned a whole 12" mirror for less than that. It may be something that damages the coatings. Personally I think it needs a clean :)

I was gearing myself up for that... Yes I wouldn't want it to cause lasting damage and I know it'll be bugging me. Just need to balance up the risk of me cacking it up now!

One tip I have read re Telrad - mount it temporarily using cable ties, when you are happy then mount it permanently using the adhesive strips or screws.

I've taken a tip from another post on here and mounted it with cable ties on top of the finder scope. It does stop the large finderscope lens-cap going on but if it works out okay for me I'll fashion a hole in the telrad mount with a Dremmel to let the top mount screw of the finderscope go through and that will set it back a bit.

Just need to balance up the risk of me cacking it up now!

My mirror didn't have a centre spot so I had a similar dilemma. Pick a time when you have no distractions and lots of time, watch some videos on YouTube, gather all the tools and bits and pieces you need, and take your time! Patience and concentration will see you through :)

I've taken a tip from another post on here and mounted it with cable ties on top of the finder scope. It does stop the large finderscope lens-cap going on but if it works out okay for me I'll fashion a hole in the telrad mount with a Dremmel to let the top mount screw of the finderscope go through and that will set it back a bit.

Great idea! Won't work for me as my finder scope is very bad at holding its alignment, I'm hoping the Telrad will make using the finder scope *almost* obsolete :)

Fantastic! The zoom EP is just brilliant, so convenient and also if you focus on high mag and zoom out the focus at lower mag is amazing. Great investment and coupled with the Barlow gives you a great spectrum of mags.

Only used the Neo once - last night. The moon was still bright, but comfortable, and the background behind Saturn was pitch black. Managed to pick out the 13 mag moons in conjunction close to Saturn, but not the Cassini divide - although Saturn was only 30ish deg above the horizon. Both good investments in my opinion :)

I think the finder is brilliant apart from the angle so I'm going to get a 90 degree one instead. I usually use the top setting screw on the finder as a guide and manually push it to where I want it then let the got do the rest if it's not in the finder.

I think the finder is brilliant apart from the angle so I'm going to get a 90 degree one instead. I usually use the top setting screw on the finder as a guide and manually push it to where I want it then let the got do the rest if it's not in the finder.

I honestly don't mind it either. I find if I use it with both eyes open I can get it pretty much spot on. I am hoping the telrad will be a nice improvement though.

Fantastic! The zoom EP is just brilliant, so convenient and also if you focus on high mag and zoom out the focus at lower mag is amazing. Great investment and coupled with the Barlow gives you a great spectrum of mags.

Only used the Neo once - last night. The moon was still bright, but comfortable, and the background behind Saturn was pitch black. Managed to pick out the 13 mag moons in conjunction close to Saturn, but not the Cassini divide - although Saturn was only 30ish deg above the horizon. Both good investments in my opinion :)

Ooh - just ordered them from FLO... I know the zoom isn't in stock just now but they are ordering more.

:) More than 50% of the stuff I've ordered from FLO has been on backorder, but everything has come within 3 weeks. There was a brief period of long waits for replies to enquiries but lately that's improved dramatically. Will continue to be a customer :)

:) More than 50% of the stuff I've ordered from FLO has been on backorder, but everything has come within 3 weeks. There was a brief period of long waits for replies to enquiries but lately that's improved dramatically. Will continue to be a customer :)

Have to say - ordered over the bank holiday and it's all on the van for me for a delivery tomorrow. Super-pleased.

Good stuff - hope the weather does you a favour, it's not doing me any :)

Well, I have to say tonight was a bit hit and miss with atomspherics and clouds (at least they were shifting quickly) but the good news is the scope is fine!

Spent most of the night trying to get Mars to open up to me, got a couple of fleeting stable views on a 6mm Meade 4000 + 2x TAL Barlow. Dob was tracking nicely tonight too apart from I'm needing to adjust the Alt clutch again now I've mounted my telrad.

I waited and waited for Saturn to appear from behind next door's house (Spica popped out around 23:15, about an hour earlier than a fortnight ago I'd say). I thought it would have gained some height but it still doesn't clear my neighbour's Scots Pines.

So began the highlight of the evening (and of my few weeks with the scope), chasing for my first real view of Saturn through tree cover and cloud. I used my telrad and finderscope to get on it (the finderscope won, it could see Saturn when it wasn't visible to the telrad - though I'm immediately loving the telrad in clear skies).

Got a few fantastic clear (smallish) views with a 15mm Meade 4000 - I'm amazed at what a 200p can drag from between tree branches, leaves and light cloud haze, I asked it to do something pretty unreasonable and it delivered.

Finally left the Dob tracking through some dense tree coverage as I could see an open patch in its path that would be my last chance until probably 2am. I popped in the 6mm Meade 4000 + 2x TAL, waited on the finderscope until I could see a glimmer, lined it back up in the crosshairs, looked through the eyepiece and could see a pleasing just-off-EP glow that I could nudge to. Got about a minute at my best magnification - not great detail but absolutely wonderful (especially after a night of wrangling Mars!).

Most fun I've had up to now. Really want to get back to Saturn when it's higher and/or earlier for a good full observation.

Archived