NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 150p inverted image?

Was just wondering if the skyliner 150p would be any good for land viewing (there are lots of mountains and things near me, so would give me something to do in the day time) or will the image be inverted? I have heard you can buy something which puts the image the right way around, but then i heard these only work on refractors.

So does anyone know and if the image is inverted is there anything i could buy that would straighten the image out?

Hi

Recommended scopes for daytime viewing are refractors and compound scopes (the Cassegrain types). The erecting prism is used in place of a star diagonal to show 'right-way-up' images. The alternative is to buy a terrestrial spotting scope and use it for occasional astronomy use.

HTH!

Hi

Recommended scopes for daytime viewing are refractors and compound scopes (the Cassegrain types). The erecting prism is used in place of a star diagonal to show 'right-way-up' images. The alternative is to buy a terrestrial spotting scope and use it for occasional astronomy use.

HTH!

Thanks,

But I have already ordered a skyliner 150p, I'm not really bothered about terrestrial viewing as i bought the scope for astronomy, but I thought it would be a good bonus if there was a way i could use it for terrestrial viewing, I live on the coast and there is a big oil rig on the horizon and some mountains near by and i was hoping i could have a gander at them, so are Dobsonians image flipped upside down and flipped sideways? And would the prism thing fix this?

If you use an erecting prism / diagonal with a newtonian it won't come to focus - they don't have enough focuser travel for such devices. They are designed to have an inverted image with left and right reversed.

As has been said, other scope designs are more readily converted for terrestrial viewing, but not a newtonian.

As reflectors use mirrors they reverse the image, the eyepiece inverts the image. I don't think erecting prisms work with reflectors (although I haven't tried). Given that your main observing will be astronomical as long as you can live with an upside-down image of daytime objects then no problem.

HTH!

Archived