New to Hobby and Looking for some help.

Hello everyone, Introducing myself and looking for some insight and advice as I am new to all of this... I have spent the last couple weeks reading forums, learning terms/equipment, I have also ordered 7 different books that seems to be in the mainstream recommendations to beginners.

My main end goal is astrophotography of planets, moon... but mostly my main focus will be on DSO. I have given myself a 3k-3500 budget and I am set on getting a nice high end refractor. I have a small apt and most likely will be on the go with my setup.. so it is really not ideal for some giant dob or reflector.. now while I am aware of the task ahead of learning I would rather go big and learn as is.. then learn small and constantly want to upgrade in the months to come.

so here is where I am at. I am currently looking at the following

-102mm f/7 Air-Spaced Triplet

ED Apochromatic Refractor

Orion ED102T CF Triplet

Apochromatic Refractor

I am really leaning towards the one from ES because It seems to be lighter by 2lbs, and has a 5 year warranty attached..

what I am asking is what would be a good mount for this... the ES website states it has a dual ring saddle and working with ES/vixen/meade mounts... what if I don't want to use those mounts... and say an orion sirus mount... or something from celestron? would I need to buy adapters?

also I plan in the future in getting the orion 80mm guidescope w/starshoot auto guider and camera or ccd for imaging... will that attach to the ES scope? are there any good EQ mounts that aren't goto? than I can use for dso tracking and will hold the load of all the equipment.... I dont really think I need a goto seeing as I would like to be able to find things and hunt on my own.. thats the fun right?

would it be just easier to get all orion?

sorry for being such a noob, I have been looking and just cant seem to find the answers I am seeking.. thanks in advance for all your help!

Archived