Anything worth viewing at the moment?

I'm a newbie, first took an interest to the stars when my girlfriend left late and realised quite how much was out there, constantly looked at Jupiter by the naked eye and tried to identify what i could but a huge smile on my face, knowing i was looking at another solid mass, the realisation they actually exist, so bought myself a telescope (80-800 jessops on offer job) i dont expect much from it, ive downloaded stellarium, had a browse on my first night finding only stars, no moon this evening im afraid, but wondering what else i could get a decent view of where possible, after those few stars and prospect of seeing the moon im hooked, i live in a city but we do a light out at 12:30 so its only distant light, enlighten me so i can see the most out of this (and potentially blow some cash on a telescope that blows my mind)

Si

Sadly the jessops scope leaves a littleto be desired but don't panic. There's always the moon

Jupiter but it will be going soon when Saturn becomes better placed. There's mars (but it will be fairly small) Venus (it's right near Jupiter just little lower left diagonally) um you might be able to make out m42 in the sword of Orion (bottom of 1st star on left of orions belt and I guess another could be the m45 it's between Jupiter and Orion at the mo. looks like a tiny dipper to naked eye.

A really good book for small scopes and bins is turn left at Orion:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived