Dual Axis motors on EQ5

Just a quick post to say.....

Anyone thinking of getting motors for your mount but are put off by thinking they might be complicated to fit... don't worry. They're so easy to fit and work brilliantly.

A mate at work got some for his EQ3-2 and said they were great but I thought they might be a bit awkward to fit (I'm not a very technical person), but I'm so glad I did buy them. They were very easy to fit (total fitting time approx 20-30 mins).

Got to try them out for the first time last night and I'm very impressed with how well they worked. OK, so they're extremely slow at slewing, but at least you can unlock them and manually turn the scope to roughly line up with your object. Once you're lined up, they track really well (depending on your alignment). I only carried out a rough polar alignment but still managed decent enough tracking. They even handled the weight of my 200P and DSLR too, which was another of my worries.

I'm still extremely new to all this as I've only had my scope about 6 weeks, but I feel as though I've learnt loads in that time (mostly from people on here - thank you). I just need to read through Quatermass's blog again so I can sort out my image processing now.

Yup - I agree with most of that - they can be made to move a little faster if you change the rate on the hand control box - but otherwise they are dead easy to fit in 20 mins give or take - it's just screwing up screws and meshing up cogs. :)

Archived