Help please

Hello people.

I am a new member to this community and very new in using telescope too.. I am using Skyhawk 114 Telescope which has got Red dot

now currently I have got 25mm lenses and 10 mm lenses and a barlow lens.

I am managing to use my red dot and point it to the object and then manage to see it through eye piece and when i adjust it because it is blury, it still looks the same as it looked through naked eye..? :) I am sooo gutted cos i was trying to view venus and jupiter and i couldnt see anything apart from white tiny dot in the telescope. not sure what I am doing wrong there..any help or advise pleaseee

Hi the focal length is 500mm so you are getting 20x and 50x magnification, your scope will handle about 40x per inch of apeture, so about 150-180 on a good seeing night. However I suggest you get an eyepiece will a focal length of 5mm and therefore 100x, This will show some cloud markings on jupiter and the cresents of venus nicely. I suggest the 5mm BST from skys the limit (nice guy) and at £47 a good investment and punchs above its price point. Its also good because the eye relief on a plossl is too tight at 5mm but the bst is comfy at around 10mm from memory. Hope that helps don't despair.

Venus is not a great thriller to observe, though the phases are interesting - especially of you read up on Gallileo. However, you should see significant detail on Jupiter if the seeing is stable. The advice to go for 100x magnification is excellent.

Olly

Archived