Log book...

I'm looking to get a log book. I was thinking about just using a spiral notebook since it's cheap and I do well with simple things. But then I googled astronomy log books and there are separate versions for planets and deep sky objects and the Moon. Is there any real advantage to buying one (or all) of those as opposed to using a normal notebook? Are there any universal log books that you would suggest or again would a normal notebook do fine?

Also, what kind of info should I keep track of? I'm thinking the following are important: date and time, location, equipment, viewing conditions, and sketches. Anything else?

As far as I am aware there are observers logs available for specific things, but if you want to keep a log of all your observations, I am sure you can devise your own method of keeping written records, sketches and drawings, many people do and Sir PM still has his to this day. Records can be simple and cover the basics or very detailed, if you do a little reading you will find what other Astronomers have included in their logs from essential observing details to highly technical reports which would include such things as angular measurement / spectrum analysis etc. At the end of the day it is really what you want out of it for your own personal satisfaction :)

Archived