Abingdon Astronomy Soc

Hi have any members been to or actively participate in Abingdon astronomy society? I found them listed in a magazine and wanted to know what the great and good of the SGL thought about them.

I'm just seeking opinions :D

I went to a talk at one (LARGE, public?) meeting. The talk was great, but I didn't actually "meet" anyone that night? LOL. A nice, well-organised venue. They do provide "normal" meetings, observing evenings, special interest (beginners) groups - Perhaps better for a *first* visit? Personal (friends) transport is fairy essential in Oxon/Berks? :)

Aside: I go regularly to a smaller local (Welsh) meeting now - I moved! But I realise that you do have to be quite "determined" (persistent) to get ANY society to work. Many astronomers are [initially] more into "things" than people? LOL. Perhaps comfortingly (Gawd help 'em) rather like me... Ultimately very friendly and wherever you go. :headbang:

Give it a try. My attitude to "meetings" has changed... for the better. :D

I've been a member for a few years now. What can I tell you? it's great! Join us on 16th March for stargazing with Science Oxford Live.

Stargazing - Science Oxford Live

we have a website Abingdon Astronomical Society, Oxfordshire

Next main meeting is on the 12th, there's a guest speaker followed by tea and a session for people to bring up anything interesting they've been up to. You don't have to join to attend a few meetings. Also, the beginner's meetings feature talks by society members and you really don't want to miss those.

Archived