Another Eyepiece Question!

Hi again everyone!

Right, now that I understand what eyepieces I need, I have a different question about camera adaptors.

I've got a friend which has a Canon 50D, and I might be able to borrow this to take some pics with the scope, I’ve got a 900mm reflecting scope, anybody advise on what are good mounts to get?

Is there such a thing as an adapter to fit over existing eyepiece's or do you have to get a separate eyepiece that includes the lens (10mm, or 25mm etc) and the adapter for the camera?

I hope this makes sense!

Cheers,

:)

Hi,

A 50D will let you do 'prime focus' photography - ie no lens attached to the camera. Put basically, your telescope becomes your cameras' (very big) lens. In order to attach the camera to the scope you will need a T-ring. You can buy one from most telescope outlets - I bought mine from FLO who sponsor this site - and they're under £20. Depending on your scope you may be able to screw this T-ring straight onto your scope focuser - you will not need any eyepieces for this. If your focuser is not threaded to accept one of these directly you can buy a short extension tube which is threaded on one end, with the other end going into your focuser and being clamped. If you give a store a call they will make sure you get the correct fittings.

If you intend on doing any deep sky photography you will need a motorised GEM (German equatorial mount) except for the very brightest objects. Whatever you have make sure it is sturdy enough to cope with the weight of the camera. Replacing that won't be very cheap :)

If you want to photo planets then a webcam is the best route to go, connected to a laptop. You record a video, and then use software to pick the best frames and stack them. Many people use a barlow lens in this scenario to boost magnification.

I am sure there are many more informative posts on this subject if you have a quick trawl through the forums, but hope that helps.

Archived