Supatrac and goto tripod

This is the shiny steel tripod used for Skywatcher goto and supatrac mounts and I believe by Celestron as well.

I broke one of the tray mid-leg attachment hinges when opening up the legs in the dark. I think I have found an underlying cause.

The screws used for the hinges on the central pivot (below tray) and the hinges on the mid leg support are M4 x 25mm machine screws, they are too short, ie not passing through the nylon in the nyloc type nuts. I think that in an attempt to overcome this they have may been over tightened at manufacture.

If the nuts haven't been over tightened the fact that they are not in the nylon, means that they could work loose

I am replacing all six screws with M4 x 30mm screws, this will enable the screws to be fully engaged with the nyloc nuts without being over tightened.

PS I posted this first in the mount forum but realised that probably it was a 'beginners problem'

Sounds quite logical to me, if anyone is not able to find the screws try "Boltmeup" they will supply small quantities of all types of metric screws in stainless for less than a couple of quid and most often free post to boot :D

Nice link glowjet :D

Having trawled the web looking for such items and finding astronomical prices (see what I did there), Boltmeup gets a thumbs up from me.

I bet I am not the first to have to buy different bolts to attach the ST80 rings to a PROPER dovetail. Hex bolts supplied are too proud etc

Clear skies :(

Just for information, mostly all of Boltmeup`s stock is in stainless steel, either A2 or marine grade A4 and very often something just over half the price of Stig Fastners, small quantities of tens or twenty are in the main post free and Ist class post order return, as against SF at £1.80 P&P, unless, of course, you only want to purchase two or three items, as Boltmeup only do packaged quantities :p

Archived