Guiding an HEQ5 with PHD

Iv'e been looking into the possibility of using a SPC900 webcam (via the standard finderscope if possible) for for guiding a 200p on an HEQ5.

I've downloaded PHD and had a play but have yet to connect it to the mount.

There seems to be a few different ways of doing this and I'm not sure what to do next. The mount is a Synscan. I guess I need a USB to RS 232 convertor and then knock up a D type to RJ11 lead to the Synscan handset.

Is my thinking correct?

Is there a website or does anyone know the pinount and connection details for the rs232 lead / RJ11 connector please?

Many thanks.

Thanks for the quick replies. The EQdir box from FLO looks ideal.

Is using an SPC900 through the standard finder scope a viable option for guiding?

Thanks.

Lee

Lots of people use it to guide. I plan to try myself when this blumming cloud passes!

If your finder is the standard SW 8 x 50 then you can get an adapter from Modern Astronomy for £29 plus postage that allows the webcam to connect directly to it.

Accessories @ Modern Astronomy

A lot of people have used this combination with good results.

Or you can hack something together using foam and a loo roll :D

Archived