eyeglass question???? (3 PARTS)

I recently started wearing reading eyeglasses to see close up. I believe they are simple magnifyers at 1.5-2.0. Now am i correct in taking them off to view through my scope and assume the focusers do the work of my glasses.(which i wear around my neck all the time)..PART 2.....My wife wears glasses to see far objects(opposite of me).I told her to take them off when I wanted her to look at jupiter the other night with me through my old 60-800mm (using 22mm eyepiece) refracter..am i doing this right.. PART 3 ...Im looking to purchase at least a 8-10 inch dob for my new telescope,and i hear eye piece questions about long eye relief pieces.is this what I should be getting...Im a little confused because the last time I was in the hobby(30 years ago) eyeglasses weren"t a problem........:):icon_confused::(:icon_confused:

Hi saberonyx. I normally wear bifocal specs, but observe through my telescope without them. Some more complex visual problems (such as astigmatism) need glasses worn for observing, but I don't think you (or your wife) will need to do so. You will however need to refocus when changing over as your eyes will differ in their focusing needs.

Long eye relief eyepieces are essential if you do need to observe whilst wearing glasses, but if not it is down to personal preference - I happily use Plossls down to 3mm (they have practically no eye relief) whilst others are unhappy with eye reliefs of less than 8mm or so.

oh ,I see (get it)..lol.lol.. thanks ,that makes it more understandable.I see when my wife looks in ,i must teach her to focus a little to her liking.The focus must have been pretty clear to her because i did test her were jupiters moons were and she got it right!!!!.. i need her involved(for the money flow)wink.wink!!!!

Archived