Laser collimation blurry on an old scope

I have been passed an old Meade 4.5" reflector with goto and thought it would be useful as a backup scope.

I have a laser collimator which I used to collimate my 200PDS, so I thought it would be a simple matter to use it on the Meade. However, when I put it into the eyepiece, the dot on the primary mirror was a diffuse spot about a centimetre across. By the time it comes back to hit the target on the collimator it's a diffused 2cm glow. There appears to be a lens in the bottom of the EP focusser, which I am guessing is what is causing the beam to spread. I can't focus the beam down to anywhere close to a point.

I suppose my question is, is this normal for a scope of this type and if not, what do I need to do about it?

It's a Meade DS-2114S if I'm reading the spec correctly. I've got a manual but it gives no indication of what is going on in the (wobbly) focusser.

I'll try your suggestion of removing it if it's possible.

Ah, according to another forum, it's apparently a Bird-Jones design and the lens is a corrective lens to "reduce or eliminate the inherent spherical aberrations of the primary mirror".

I suppose I had better leave it in place!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived