NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 GOTO RA problem?

DaveGarland

Can anyone tell me if you've had this problem with an EQ5 GOTO mount? I noticed that while trying 3 star alignment with my scope that the RA starting position was wandering. In other words, the weights, instead of pointing straight down were at differing angles. Then the RA drive just gave up completely. At this point I noticed the power tank was running out of charge. Clearly this explains the lack of power to the RA drive but, a, would this affect the starting position? And b, does the RA drive draw more power than the Dec drive?

Come on you guys, you've never let me down yet!

Dave.

Dave,

Check the balance of the scope, also make sure the clutches are not slipping, and make sure you are running from a 12v power supply that can provide 2Amps or more.

Both motors draw the same amount of current when slewing, but poor power can cause the motors to bind or stall.

Yup, already checked the balance, checked the clutches aren't slipping and my power tank gives 7 amps. I did charge it briefly and went back out to try it again and it aligned perfectly although I couldn't spend much time with it as the charge quickly depleted. Only half hour charge!

I am a little suspicious of the mount as it came with a polar alignment scope fitted. Isn't this an optional extra? I'm a little worried I've been sold a used and returned mount that was faulty. Is the polar scope usually included???

Dave, when you say the tank gives 7ams have you measured that or is that just the battery rating. In the cold batteries won't last, and for it to last an hour seems a bit suspect to me.

My EQ5 pro came with a polarscope fitted - I think it's included as standard.

Does the mount sound noisy when slewing - I found my DEC motor did something similar and found it was down to the connections on a small PCB behind the two DIN sockets on the black plastic surround - might be worth undoing the screws and seeing if all the connections are sound.

Malc, that's the power rating on the pack and not something I've measured. And to be honest I've had about 6 or 7 hrs use from it on one charge and it has been VERY cold. The mount hasn't been making any weird noises. I should point out I only gave it an hour charge before going back out for another go so am not surprised the power drained quickly. The pack is now on for an over night charge so I guess I can only wait for another clear night to see how I get on. Thanks for the help. You've given me advice before. Cheers mate :)

Do you recharge your power pack immediately after you use it? If you don't, it could kill the battery. It is possible your power pack may be damaged through over discharge. If that is the case, it would not be able to supply the power required by the mount.

There is a Sticky warning about discharged power pack

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-mounts/84330-reminder-about-charging-your-powertanks.html

Hmmm, this could be a worry. It's been charging over night and still going. The red charging light goes through periods of being permanently on and then flashing. Is this normal? It's all new kit you see, I haven't charged it since its initial charge. The manual didn't say anything about charging after every use and I didn't realise the yellow light was on until the tripod started faulting so I'm afraid it got pretty well run down :D

Dave, just to rule out a power issue, do you have a mains powered 12v 2amp supply (sometimes used for modems / network switches or netbooks). Whilst switching power supplies are not ideal for these mounts, it would certainly clarify if this is a power issue

Just a quick update. I got the power pack back to life after about 20 hours charging. Tonight, although the sky over Bristol was waaaay too overcast for any decent viewing, there were enough points of light for me to go out and try 3 star alignment. In fact the poor viewing was actually a blessing as it left me with nothing to do BUT alignment so I broke down and set up a few times. All a complete success :icon_salut: As I said this is all new kit and so I'm on a learning curve here, and lessons have been learned. I will make sure I keep my power tank charged ;) But thanks all for your advice.

Now bring on the clear skies! :)

Archived