Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak

Depends really on how strong and fit you are!

The 127 on its steel-legged tripod is "luggable" rather than "portable" - not sure that I would fancy carrying it for half a kilometre - and certainly not regularly!

However, if you were to adapt a rucksack to take the OTA, and then carry the (folded) tripod, then it might be do-able.

Of course, if you do, you'll have to use the supplied dry-cell battery pack, as there's no way you'll be able to carry a leisure/gel battery as well :)

Best of luck :)

Been thinking about this.

Wouldn't want to put you off a 127 Mak, as they are outstanding scopes for the money, so.........

The problem, when it comes to portability, is always going to be the mount/tripod. The steel-legged ones are MUCH more stable, but considerably heavier than the aluminium-legged versions. Nonetheless, the latter can be acceptable for visual use (rather than photography), especially if you can avoid extending them to full height and/or hang a weighlt (rock?) from them. And of course, I see that the 127 SupaTrak seems to come with alu legs - at least from FLO.

I think you need to see some scopes and mounts (127s or 102s) in real life to judge. Any astro societies or retailers anywhere near you?

Alternatively, within budget, you could look at some Skywatcher refractors, (ST 80s, 102s, or perhaps even a 120) especially those which come on the lighter mounts such as the AZ3. (AZ4 would be better, but, again, likely to be too heavy, especially if on steel legs). And of course, being manual Alt-Az mounts, you won't need a power supply.

Of course, the logical answer would be to suggest that you get yourself some good 'bins (totally portable), but I have no doubt that you are like most of us (certainly me), and nothing less than a SCOPE will do! :)

Why not give FLO, or RVO a ring, and discuss, unless someone else happens along with a better idea.

the most portable 5 inch is First Light Optics - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

i carry a nexstar 5 for that sort of distance and a bit it. needed a bit of modding though. I broke the legs out of the mount reinforced the bits with hose clips and plug the legs in when I need it. increased tension on the spreader bar keeps the mount steady and the hose clips stop the plastic bits from splitting I will try and pit a pic up when I can find my camera having a bit of a redecorate at the moment

I have a Skymax 127 and because I'm not bothered about a goto mount and more importantly live on a narrowboat (restricted space) I bought tube only version which mounts directly on my Camlink tp28 carbon fibre camera tripod. It works well for me, obviously not suitable for astrophotography. The scope is brilliant though.

slowhand

I agree with Cunhaval - you should be able to get the OTA in a rucksack, then the mount (assuming you're looking at the alt az one) in one hand, power tank in the other.

I have the Celestron 127 - it's neither big nor heavy, but everything is relative.

Depending on how strong/fit you are of course....500m isn't all that far unless its climbing up :D

Archived