NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Toys for a Vixen ED81s

Someone should really take my credit card away...

I succumbed the other day to scope-envy and got myself an ex-display ED81s for half price.

This is on top of my Skywatcher 130p on a (now broken, but that's for a different thread) SupaTrak mount.

So guys, what toys so I need? If I do any imaging at first it'll be planetary with a webcam. I'll almost certainly stick to viewing though. In Southwark opportunities are rare for looking up, let alone taking pictures. I got a diagonal from the Widescreen Centre on Saturday. It's a 1.25 but I fear they may have given me the wrong one and I need a 2". (I can't find any information online.)

I'm going to probably get a cheapo Goto - the SynScan should hold both my 130p and the Vixen - they're both well under 4Kg fully loaded.

So what else and I going to batter my Mastercard with?

If you 130p is broken, why not just mount your ED81S directly on the SupaTrak? A EQ5 will be a good match for the ED81S, although if you want to do astrophotography, you should consider the HEQ5.

What eyepieces do you have at the moment? A good scope like the ED81S can use some premium quality eyepieces.

If you can wait another week and a half, you should visit Astrofest in High Street Kensington.

Ah, it's the SupaTrak that's broken. The OTA is fine.

Waiting for Astrofest is a good idea, I'm planning on heading over there anyway.

my eyepieces aren't up to much they're just the ones that came with the 130p so I'll definitely need a couple of new ones. Can't decide whether to get 1.25" that'll fit both scopes, or go for 2". Is there a great deal of difference?

If fact, I got a WS diagonal on advice last weekend but I think I may have to return it or buy an adaptor as it's a 1.25" and I don't think the ED81 is going to come with an adaptor from 2"

Am I correct in thinking that with a 2" diag, I can then use an adaptor at the eyepiece end for 1.25ers?

that sounds more sensible than fitting an adaptor to the scope and a 1.25 diagonal. It gives me the flexibility of using both sizes of eyepiece. Or am I missing something?

Sorry, I should have read your post carefully. If you are looking for a mount to replace your broken mount, a EQ5 GOTO will be a good choice. However, if you want to mount the ED81S and 130p on the mount at the same time then you will be better off with the HEQ5.

Your 130p is a Newt, so there is no point using a diagonal on it. In which case, I'd go for a 2" diagonal for your ED81S. Most 2" diagonal come with 1.25" adapter. The advantage of a 2" diagonal is the greater mechanical strength, which can be vary useful when you use heavy eyepieces.

Oh yeah, the diag is for the Vixen only.

I'm not going to take pictures (maybe the odd moon shot) so I'm about sold on getting a celestron SLT goto. Cheap, easy to use and portable, given that I don't have a garden and live in central London. It doesn't need to mount both at the same time - It's a matter of a second to swap them over.

I might get an EQ5 later on if I decide photography is the way forward.

So the only benefit of a 2" is the strength? I'd assumed some superior seeing, but that was only based on a hunch.

I reckon I'll swap the 1.25" for a 2" anyway. More flexibility with eyepieces.

Thanks Keith.

Archived