CG5 Firmware update issues

Hi all,

Im attempting to update the firmware for the nexstar hand control belonged to my CG-5 GT mount. Using the serial cable i am able to control the mount successfully, however when I try to connect to the handset to flash the firmware (after selecting the correct COM port) i receive a message telling me the hand set is not in programming mode, however, it is, the hand set LCD reads "Transmit Data".

Any one had a similar issue or have any advice ? The current firmware version for the hand control is 4.10 which should be upgradeable.

Thanks in advance

John

Do you have a serial to usb adaptor? "Transmit Data" indicates it's not connected to the computer properly - sometimes it's a physical cable problem - sometimes it's the driver for the adaptor not working properly. When I got the message it was the wrong virtual com port - how did you confirm it's the correct com port? :icon_salut:

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm using a usb to serial adaptor. I was able to determine the correct com port from the device manager. As far as windows is concerned its a valid driver. It's a cheap enough serial to usb cable but I have has success actually controlling the mount with this cable. I might try get access to a computer with an actual serial port. But any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

If you are using Windows 7 the drivers often do not install correctly - but device manager shows the port as dedicated to your telescope - I hve an LS6 and had to down load manufacturers software to get port to operate - I guess your make could be similar.

Dennis

No don't get that far less. The steps I've done are: put the hand control into programming mode, opened his update, selected the appropriate port, the I'm presented with the message to tell me to put the control into programming mode, which it already is. I select next in this dialog but just brings me back to the port selection window. I am able to download the firmware if I choose the none as the port. Getting the firmware from the computer to the hand control is ts problem :-).

The main reason I want the update is so I don't have to re calibrated after doing a polar alignment.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Archived