Telescope to laptop. (Synscan)

Hi, I'm thinking of hooking my telescope (SW 200P EQ5) up to my laptop, so I'm just wondering what is the advantage if any of doing this? I beleive its easier to use when star alligning?

Is it just a case of plugging the correct leads from telescope > control controller > laptop ect. then this allows you have full control from a laptop?

Also I understand you have to install a few drivers to allow control from a laptop, are they easy to install or do they need setting up?

Any feedback would be great and also does anyone know if there is any tutorials of such which explains and runs through the steps, equipment and software needed?

Thanks.

Rob

Hi Rob

The main advantage is you can use a programe like Stellarium or CDC to choose your target.

Just click on the chosen target on your screen click the approprate button and the scope will go there.

I have a similar set up to yours in my obs and I run it through EQMOD.

This has the advantage of many extra features and once you get used to it it is a pleasure to use.

The guy you need to talk to is 'chrishillto' who actually wrote EQMOD.

He will soon put you right on exactly what you need.

Saying that there are a lot of people who will be along soon who know a hell of a lot more about it than I do.

Best of luck with it what I can tell you that once you do it you will wonder how you ever lived without it.

There are a number of advantages, but chief among them is the ability to control your scope (well the mount actually), from a planetarium on the PC such as Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel.

I don't believe the latest version of Stellarium requires a driver layer to be installed - it can speak to the hardware directly - but I think it does need another app called Stellarium Scope to be installed.

I use Cartes du Ciel (CdC) via EQMod, which requires the Ascom platform to be installed. EQMod does come with a "telescope simulator" which allows you to install all the bits and play without having to actually setup the mount, which is great in that it allows you to familiarize yourself with the software beforehand, so you don't waste precious time under the stars! The EQMod homepage below describes the whole process and hardware and software requirements. As far as the Ascom platform itself is concerned, you don't really need to know anything about it. Just download it, install it and EQMod does the rest.

The specs for the cables are included in the documentation in the case of EQMod, or you can buy a cable ready made like this one: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html. If your laptop does not have serial ports (most these days don't), and you are not using a ready made EQDir type cable, you'll need a serial to USB converter, but you need to make sure it is compatible with astro apps. Some common or garden converters are not.

Ascom: ASCOM - Standards for Astronomy

EQMod project: EQMOD

Hope this helps.

Archived