Selecting the right first scope

Hi

I'm looking for some help selecting my first scope. I've been interested in astromony for years and Stargazing live has spured me on to get out there.

Hours of research has left me confused. I;m interested in astrophotography, being based in the Cambridgeshire Fens, i have big skies.

I'm not sure if i should go for relector or refractor. I've selected a couple of models and would appreciate some feedback to let me know if i'm heading in the right direction.

1 & 2 Sky-Watcher Evostar-120 or 102 (EQ3-2) Achromatic Refractor Telescope

3 Sky-Watcher Evostar-90 (EQ3-2) Achromatic Refractor Telescope

4 Sky-Watcher Explorer-150P (EQ3-2) Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope

Whilst the specifiction is detailed, most don't include size. Anyone who uses the above, can you give me some idea of how big they are and how you get on handling them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

My first scope was a 150P on EQ3-2. It has extending tripod legs and with the scope on top and legs right out it came up to my chin (I'm 6ft). But you can set the legs to fit yourself and ensure the eyepiece is at the right position for comfy viewing.

I never owned an achro but certainly the 150P is a great scope with the larger aperture of the three. It'll show you all the brighter object and very many of the fainter ones too. I'd certainly recommend it - it kept me quiet for two years before I felt the need to upgrade :)

I have the 120 achromat on an EQ4 (essentially a older EQ5 with aluminium legs). That mount is barely enough for it. The long tube put a lot of leverage on the mount so there is a good deal of flex when compare to say a C6 on the same mount. I guess the problem will be worse on the lighter EQ3-2.

As for size, I can pack the 120 and the EQ4 into a 75L hiking ruck sac with counterweight and tripod (dissembled of course).

I treated myself to the 150p for Christmas. I wanted to see the scopes before I bought so I drove the hour to my 'local' shop. I went in ready to buy a 200p on EQ5 but bought the 150 as it seemed more manageable.

The scope is about 70cm long, fairly light and easily fits under the arm. The Equitorial mount takes some getting used to. I also considered the Tal 100Rs and the SW120 on EQ5 which I found for around £425 mark. I went for aperture and speed...

Early days but I am very pleased with the scope but not with the weather...

Thanks for your comments. I'm going to take a trip to a dealer and get a feel for these. Seems I need to pay as much attention to the map as I do the scope.

Looking forward to better weather so I can at least get outside with binoculars for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after hours of research and a trip to local dealer I finally made a decision and went for skymax 127 on goto. Seems to pop up a lot here and on other forums. Better reviews than the celestron equiv.

Also located my local astronomical society.

Just waiting for it to arrive and the snow clouds to clear.

Thanks all for your help.

Archived