NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laser pointers

Hi,

I'm interested in buying one of these to help the kids find things and I see various green ones going for about £6 on eBay. Are they any good/safe? The guy on the BBC Stargazing Live show seemed to be able to use it as a beam to very good effect. Would that have been the same?

Oh, and would a red laser pen project on the sky OK?

Thanks

Hi,

I have two, I have the typical slim green laser with the pen style pocket clip, which is cheap and flimsy, as they all are, and I've got another one... The other one is a couple of quid more, but it's drastically brighter and more powerful, (even though they're rated to be the same 1mw) and very very solidly built. It's cut from solid aluminium and the main shell of the pen surrounding the battery is 4mm thick!, the battery cap is nearly 10mm thick solid aluminium. It comes with a very cheap and flimsy charger for it's battery, but that's it's only let down.

So if you're after a laser, I'd really recommend you spend a couple more quid and get one of the heavier ones...

Here's the one I got, 1mW Military Grade Green Laser Pointer (with CR123A Battery) Super Visible Beam | eBay

As soon as the sun sets, you CAN see a solid green beam, none of this "not when cold" stuff, it's very good for the money...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I decided to go for a £6 green laser pen from Amazon. There were a very few reports of people receiving fault ones but many many more positive reviews so I took the gamble.

I have to say it works extremely well in pointing out the exact locations of stars, planets and clusters. Even Mrs. SHA was impressed.

I'll be very careful with it in line with the advice and links above - the kids will not be allowed to use it themselves.

Archived