NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3-2 Declination Control Worm Gear Jumpy

Following a very short spell out tonight I found that the DEC control worm gear was a bit jumpy during use. The scope and mount are brand new but in theory I have balanced it according to the instructions.

Is this normal, could the scope not be balanced or is there a problem with the mount ?

Hi Rigel,

are you talking about using the EQ3-2 with the slow-mo controls (handles) or with the motors (if purchased)?

I found when I had my EQ3-2 that sometimes there was a little `slack` needed taking up when turning the knobs before the scope started to move - ditto with the motors - however I just tightened the worm gears and it seemed to solve the problem - its all depends on the magnitude of the `jumpiness` as to whether you should send it back or just live with it...

Following a very short spell out tonight I found that the DEC control worm gear was a bit jumpy during use. The scope and mount are brand new but in theory I have balanced it according to the instructions.

Is this normal, could the scope not be balanced or is there a problem with the mount ?

Have a look at this linky -

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/171668-skywatcher-150pl-owners-tips-mods.html#post2112349

Thanks for the link Parus - looks like it may be worth a try.... I might give the shop a ring that I bought it from though as well as it is only a couple of weeks old. I thought naively that the scope and mount would have been calibrated when sold: However the collimation was way off, the rings were way off the balance point and one of the feet was so loose on the tripod it was coming off. None of this is serious but the dec worm worries me as I do want to attach motors and have a stab at some photos.

Archived