sw 150pds/eq5/motors/canon 500D - o.k.?

Dear All - first post..

After dithering for years, I think I am on verge of ordering..

1/. EQ5 + polarscope + motors

2/. sky-watcher explorer 150pds

3/. canon 500d

I already have the canon camera....

Reading the 150pds specs, its not clear to me if I just need a single canon camera adapter (as I would with a 150p) or whether the 150dps does not have the t-thread bit on its eyepieces. Can someone clarify what I have to get to connect camera to the 150dps.

I was also debating piggybacking the camera, with its own 75-300mm lens on the 150dps - would that work? - anyone doing that?

The above is already way above the price of what I had originally planned to spend, so comments that my list is not really silly would also be greatfully received!

Planned use is a mixture of viewing plus some initial attempts as atrophotography of some DSO etc.

I might then try fitting the eqmod kit later with the mod of the motor controller etc.

Thanks Folks, Dave Price

I'm pretty sure you can attach the Canon the PDS just using a suitable T-ring without a nosepiece. There was a thread on here yesterday where that very thing was discussed.

Plenty of people do piggyback DSLRs on top of the main scope using a dovetail. Or the simple alternative would be to attach the camera directly to a dovetail, perhaps using a conventional tripod ball head, and then mount that to the mount directly using something like this:

http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accDovetails

Deluxe Vixen Style Photo Dovetail and 1/4 inch Camera Screw - £19.99. Which is currently being discussed in another thread.

And welcome to SGL :)

You will be able to attach the camera on top of one of the tube rings for piggyback wide angle shots of the sky - it comes with a camera adaptor on the ring. The DS is the better one for deep sky photography - the dual speed focuser will give you better/easier control at the focus point.

You'll need a bhatinov mask to focus. For prime focus photography I'm not sure if it has a direct T-thread conection - but they usually do. If not you'll want a T-ring and additionally a T-adaptor. The motors are a doddle to fit - your list looks sound to me and will give you a good start. :)

Archived