Some questions on a skywatcher 120 and eq3-2 mount

Hi All

I had my skywatcher 120 and eq 3-2 mount delivered today and firstly just to point out, there is nothing wrong with the kit, infact the viewing is excellent, but a couple of issues to seek advice on. The rack and pinion is like moving through heavy mud, i want to remove the focuser usint to re lubricate with decent silicone grease, and secondly, there is slight movement where the scope is attached to the mount, enough to annoy basically.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to make the attachment bar between the scope and the mount more ridgid, would tape packing one side be ample to prevent too much play. Otherwise, all is good, but i am wondering now if the eq5 would have been the better option in respect of weight handling.

I wish I still had my old 8 inch cpc though, and this one lol.

You can dismantle and clean/regrease the focusser easily enough on the 120. I would suggest using "White Lithium Grease" available from cycle shops (wash the old stuff off with White Spirit and an old toothbrush). You will find the focusser has two sliders and a third controlled by two tiny grub screws - these are the ones to spend some time on getting the whole thing as smooth as silk.

I don't have an EQ3 (mine is on an EQ5) but if you have movement I would look for the "pivot" of that movement (if you see what I mean) and set to work on it with a file or similar - If it is anything like the EQ5 then the mount is made from castings that are simply painted, so are likely to have lumps and bumps from the moulding process still on them, it may be one of these that is the cause of your problem.

Archived