Meade Starnavigator 102 vs Skymax 127

Hi all,

Ah, the combined pains and fun of trying to find the 'right' first telescope continue. Not helped because I want to 'have my cake and eat it' - I want to use the scope for planetary and lunar observation but would also like to be able to use it for observing nebula and DSO. I know I cant have everything but I can only afford one scope.

I have posted elsewhere (and please do excuse me if this post is considered a double post) about the Skymax 127 SynScan and that is the front runner at the moment although the narrow field of view does concern me for observing nebula and also for setting up the goto system.

Telescope House recommended that this may be a better scope for me: Xmas StarNavigator 102mm Refractor Bundle

... A Meade Stranavigator 102mm refractor for 299 pounds. With a nice 2x barlow I guess it is a similar cost to a Skymax 127.

I can find little information about the Meade online but it does appear that this scope has been selling for £150 at Costco - is this true? Is this really the same scope that TH are selling for twice the price - if that is the case then I wonder if the scope really is any good?

So, dear friends ... whilst my thoughts remain quite firmly with the idea of picking up a Skymax 127 and possibly a 32mm eyepiece later on to give a wider field of view, I wonder what your view is on the refractor? I can't help but feel that the Costco thing is a bit fishy or am I missing something. (BTW if it is available at Costco for half the money I wouldn't be able to benefit from this - not being a Costo member etc).

Credit card ready to get the Skymax 127 SynScan from FLO but REALLY would be grateful for thought on the Meade before I commit.

The Skyhawk 1145P is still there as an option also but I can't help but feel it might be a bit disappointing?

Many thanks and again apologies if there is a bit of repetition between this and my Skymax 127 forum post.

Carl

I wouldn't go for the Meade.

I like my 127 Mak but it does give a narrow field of view. I was happy with this as a London observer, as most of the larger objects are invisible against my orange sky anyway. It was also small and I could carry it down the stairs of my flat easily.

I haven't read your other thread but why are you not considering a reflector if you want a do-it-all scope?

Andrew

Hi!

Thanks for your quick reply. If I go for a reflector it would probably go for a Starwatcher 130P SynScan or the 1145P. I had a look at 130P and just wonder if its a tad on the big side for storage (and my wife's patience!) although physical length wise I think there is little in it between that and the 102mm refractor.

Your advice on the Meade Refractor is very helpful, I think I will remove that one from my list - which oddly return me to a similar position to where I began this adventure: 130P or 127 Skymax!

Perhaps I need to re-look at the 130P or go down an inch to the 1145P.

Carl

Hi!

I had a look at 130P and just wonder if its a tad on the big side for storage (and my wife's patience!)

Start looking at 12" dobsonians and then downsize to a 5 or 6" newtonian.:D

Andrew

If you are going down the reflector route,I would spend the extra and get the 130p, I know it its bigger but it doesn't weigh very much. If you are getting the top-of-the-line goto version I believe this comes with a 2" adapter enabling you to use 2" eyepieces, something like a 32mm 2" wide angle ep will give you some wonderful wide field views

Archived