Can anyone help with a squeaky EQ2 Mount?

I have a Explorer 130P/650, with EQ2 mount.

At about a month in, it developed an awful squeak when using the Dec fine adjust control.......I have thoroughly examined, checked and tightened all fixings and fittings, also made sure the scope is correctly balanced, all ok. The problem is definately with the Dec fine adjust, when I remove the control knob, and am left with just the small chrome spindle protuding from the mount, i only have to lightly touch the spindle to cause the squeak (either rotating it, or just pushing slightly left or right)

I have tried applying a tiny amount of lube at the point where the spindle enters the Mount, which cures the problem, but only lasts a few hours, then the evil squeak from hell returns! help

Cheers, Ed :D

It may be cured with a touch of "White Lithium Grease". This is obtainable from cycle shops and a small tub will last a lifetime. You don't say what you used - if it was an oil then it would soon run away whereas grease will stay put. Don't be afraid to take the worm and wheel apart to clean and grease it - it should go back together quite easily and any play can be adjusted out.

It may be cured with a touch of "White Lithium Grease". This is obtainable from cycle shops and a small tub will last a lifetime. You don't say what you used - if it was an oil then it would soon run away whereas grease will stay put. Don't be afraid to take the worm and wheel apart to clean and grease it - it should go back together quite easily and any play can be adjusted out.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I did think that the thinner lubricants might seep away so opted fo a small amount of Semi Synthetic Chain Lube that I have for my M/C, it has an adhesion agent in but still runny compared to grease. Ive got a tube of 'Teflon Grease' for my MTB, maybe I should give that a whirl, or is there something specific about the Lithium?

Archived