Gave my little bino's a try

With the clear (and rather cold) night we've been having I thought I'd dig out my old bino's and give them a try before I start splashing out on a scope.

The bino's are a little pair of Russian made (USSR) 4x20 prisms, my dad bought them for me when I was a kid so they must be 25/30 years old but still in good condition and work well, onto the viewing:

At this time of year I can always pick out Orion, my starting point being the 3 stars in his belt, Betelgeuse showed slightly better then naked eye with a definite orange hue, M42 was a slightly clearer smudge.

I recently picked up a copy of "The Practical Astronomer"

ISBN 0756662109 for a few pounds which has given me a few tips on star hopping from various constellations.

I have a large selection of Binos. 10x50, 7x60, 10x60 and a few I cant remember. I love my binos, I can see M31 incredibly well and my most loved target is the beehive nebula. I am always with the 10 x 50 as this is my newest pair I use them more than the others. I keep the 7x60 in the car for the odd chance of being in the right place at tge right,time.

Only problem is keeping the buggers still. Need a tripod.

Archived