New Telescope

Hi..I just purchased a 8" Saxon Dobsonian and set it up last night outside.It was a bit cloudy but the moon was half full and bright so I took the end large cover off and got the Finder scope lined up with a nice clear picture of the moon but I could not see anything through the viewfinder.How log does it take to see the image ? I also Pointed it at Jupiter but could not see anything either.What am

I doing wrong..??..Thanks Steve:headbang:

You should see something immediately in the main scope if it is in view in the finder scope. It's best to use the lowest magnification eyepiece (the one with 20mm or 25mm on it) to start with.

Is the finder scope lined up precisely where the main scope is pointing ?.

This can be setup during daylight using a distant object, say a mile or more, away.

I assume you had an eyepiece in the focuser of the main scope ? - sorry to ask really but I guess it's been done before !.

Hi John..Yes I focused the finder in the daylight on a power pole half a km away.The finder I lined up with the moon and it was clear and bright.I put in a 25 mm and then tried the 10 mm.All i saw was a colour of white.I tried to focus it.I took the large cap off the end(I presume thats to let the max light in..Sorry if thats sounds dumb)Do you have to wait a while for the telescope to get to the right temp or does the image take a awhile to appear..

Archived