SW 130 Dob Red Dot finder help

Just a quick request for some help and advice.

I bought the SW 130P Dobsonian a few weeks back. Been having some great fun with it and am mostly impressed.

I am having a bit of trouble with the Red dot finder though. When i’ve tried to align it by centring some distant object in the eyepiece, when i come to adjust the red dot finder, I come to the limits of its adjustment range before I can get the red dot centred on the target object.

At the moment the best I’ve achieved is to have the red dot pretty much bang on as far as azimuth is concerned, but the altitude of the scope needs to be nudged up a little in order to centre the target object in the eyepiece view.

Any suggestions?

I found that there was some play in the fit of the finder in the finder shoe and that this could be exploited by using a tab of insulation tape on the finder foot to deliberately offset the finder in the direction you need to bring it in range of the finder alt and az adjustment screws. You will probably need to experiment a bit to find where you need to "shim" the finder foot.

Hope that makes a little sense !

Archived