Webcam dust doughnut solution?

michaelmorris

Following on from the discussion about dust doughnuts and barlow lens (http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/169115-dust-doughnuts-problem.html), would I be correct in assuming that if I clean the camera sensor thoroughly, then fit an optically really good clear filter to the front of the nosepiece of the webcam adaptor that any dust will now be so far away from the sensor that adding a barlow will not make dust doughnuts appear ?

Has anyone done this?

Do optically clear filter lower the contrast on bright objects?

Which are good makes of clear filter that will work well with IR pass filters?

Thanks

I've cleaned the sensor and saw a dramatic improvement in dust artefacts. The webcam is always wearing a UV/IR block filter. I think dust at that distance (an inch?) will not show up. Are you planning to ever use the webcam without any filter at all? You could always leave the most-used filter in place when you store it.

I've cleaned the sensor and saw a dramatic improvement in dust artefacts. The webcam is always wearing a UV/IR block filter. I think dust at that distance (an inch?) will not show up. Are you planning to ever use the webcam without any filter at all? You could always leave the most-used filter in place when you store it.

I plan to use the webcam with a variety of filters including IR cut, IR pass and RGB filters (with built-in IR/UV cut).

Archived