NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bent RA shaft?

Hi all,

I'e been having a few problems with the HEQ5 and wondered if anyone had any ideas. I was out earlier with the 200p and lost all drive when pressing the right slew button even though I could hear the motor running. After doing a little research I came across astro-babys site (the holy grail of HEQ5 info!) and decided to try adjusting the RA worm gear as I also had some severe slop that I thought could be related. After following Astro-Babys guide I removed all the slop and the right-slew seemed much better but i've now noticed that it isn't completely free for around 180 degrees of rotation nd in fact it doesn't "free wheel" at any point at all. Any ideas?

TIA

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you've over-tightened the grub screw. When I did mine the other day it took me around an hour to get it just right so it wasn't sloppy, bit didn't bind. I found that sometimes it was just right, but then giving the two outer bolts a turn caused a slight binding, so it was constantly loosen here and tighten there if you follow my drift

When i say not free i mean when the clutch? is released. I may be wrong, but how would the worm gear affect the rotation when in free wheel mode?

Sorry, thought you meant that when you slewed the scope it bound at 180 degree.

It does sound that something is not right if you have released the clutches and freely rotate the mount and it binds, and although I'm no expert, would have to agree with your assumption.

Thanks for your reply anyway, I think I'll give the FLO lads a ring tomorrow to get their opinion. I've had a few other little niggles like the RA setting circle not staying put even when screwed tight, but I thought "I won't be using it anyway seeing as I have the sysnscan handset" but it might just be better getting it replaced.

Archived