Astrophotography; any tips for a new telescope owner?

I bought a telescope last year, and I would like to try out astrophotography. I have a Skywatcher Explorer 130, 900mm. When I bought the telescope, I also bought a T-ring for my Nikon D5000 camera. I can use it when I use my 10mm eyepiece(I got it with my telescope), but not on my new Plossl 20mm eyepiece(The eyepiece is too long and wide).

Do anybody have any tips for how I can solve that, or any other equipment I can buy? I don't have much experience with telescope, and would appreciate some help :p

Typically a DSLR is not used on top of an EP (though yes, it can be does as you have realised) - but is used at prime focus so the telescope becomes the lens of the camera.

I am under the impression you are not going to get the camera any where near focus on the 130P though without modifying the mirror position as the sensor cannot get close enough to the secondary and there is no replacement focuser.

This thread has cropped up several times recently, almost all budding astrophotographers with a 130 have sold it on and got at least a 150.

My suggestion would be to get an SPC880 webcam from either Morgans Computers or Telescope House and do some planetary work with that first. Have a read of the book I've linked you to below and take it from there :p

Beginners guide to astro-photography

Thank you for your answer :p Are there any internet stores I can find that web cam?

Telescope House Webcam Astro-imaging Kit including Philips SPC

It can be found for a few quid cheaper, but the usual store is out of stock.

These are just my opinions though so I'd see if anyone else has an alternative solution before purchasing this :icon_salut:

Archived