Meade starnavigator 114 question regarding focus

Hello everyone a bit of background this is my first time at using a telescope but have caught the bug I have a Meade Starnavigator 114:

Aperture = 114mm

Focal Length = 1000mm

Focal Ration = f/8

Aluminum tube assembly

Rack-and-pinion focuser with 1.25" and 2" eyepiece-holders

Alt/Azimuth mount with locks on both axes

#494 Autostar Electronic Control System

I've had it looking at the moon and at Jupiter ( clouds were moving in fast so just whizzed it round to these 2 for a quick glance)

I have invested in a Barlow lens and moon filter along with the #506 cable set to remotely move the scope I am also looking to get the Meade tv/laptop lens (webcam of sorts to use on the scope also.

My question is how/is there a way to remotely focus the scope or will I have to do this manually your help would be greatly appreciated, if anyone has one of these scopes could they give me some info on what else I should be able to see and also pictures/ examples of what I can see would be a bonus

Again many thanks

• 3 months later...

Meade used to make a motor drive for the focus, that fitted most of their reflectors, but I think its no longer produced. Nearest thing would be one from JMI in the states. They are not cheap!! if you search the web, people have built their own but I feel the quality of the actual Meade rack and pinion may not help, as its not normally of a high quality. Most people seem to have changed them for something like a Crayford or similar before attempting to motorise.

Archived