Beginner requires Advice selecting a scope

Hello stargazerslounge,

I am looking for some advice and would be delighted if a comparison could be made on these 2 telescopes. I have posted the listed specs here for convenience, but the telescopes are linked for further reading.

National Geographic Newtonian Telescope 76mm

• Optimum magnification 175x.
  • Maximum magnification 525x.
  • Lens diameter 76mm.
  • 3 interchangeable eyepieces 4mm, 12.5mm, 20mm.
  • 13 x Barlow lens.
  • 6 x 25mm finderscope.
  • Reflector lens.
  • 1.5 x image erector.
  • Manual focus.
  • Aluminium full height adjustable tripod.
  • Altazimuth mount with vertical fine adjustment and lock.
  • Includes user manual and a National Geographic map of the heavens.
  • Weight 4.3kg.
  • Size H128.3, W86.4, D86.4cm.
  • Manufacturer's lifetime guarantee.
  • EAN/MPN/UPC/ISBN: 5060062140750.

(c. €170 paid)

Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ Reflector Telescop

• Optimum magnification 250x.
  • Maximum magnification 750x.
  • Quick and easy no-tool set-up.
  • Slow motion controls for smooth tracking.
  • Fully coated glass optics with high transmission coating for enhanced image brightness and clarity.
  • Aluminium tripod with accessory tray for convenient storage of accessories.
  • 'The Sky' Level 1 planetarium software with 10,000 object database and enhanced images.
  • Mount: German Equatorial.
  • Finderscope: 5x24.
  • Aperture: 127mm.
  • Focal Length: 1000mm.
  • Focal Ratio: 7.87.
  • Eyepieces: 4mm, 20mm, 3x Barlow lens.
  • Weight 7.71kg.
  • Size H148, W94, D80cm.
  • Manufacturer's 10 year guarantee.

(c. €220)

So - I realise that, and have read the frustration expressed by some of the users here about outlandish claims made in many telescope specs. I have also read here that the National Geographic Newtonian Telescope 76mm is not the best of beginner scopes.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I have been gifted the National Geographic Newtonian Telescope 76mm for Xmas, which I have not opened and intended to get a refund for the Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ Reflector Telescope instead.

Being from Ireland I do not have the greatest access to purchase the broadest range of telescopes, but instead of rushing in and replacing one disappointing scope for another, beyond giving some comparision of the 2 aforementioned telescopes - it would be great if some further suggestions could be made. I am willing to spend a little extra to get the best price to quality ratio. A rough budget would climb to as far as 350Euro.

So rather than making a complete essay out of this, I would kindly ask that a comparison of the 2 telescopes might be made and then a few further suggestions might be added.

Finally, what would I like to see you ask? - well of course only everything, who wouldn't, but with a more realistic expectation, I would simply like to see whatever is not asking too much and with as much clarity and brilliance as possible with my budget.

Many many thanks in advance

JJ

In fact I will just add, I have a small catalog from a Digital | Photography | Optic | Video store who appear to supply SOLIGOR Telescopes.

There is no prices included and I'm sure some or all of these SOLIGOR scopes will be well outside what I am willing to spend as an introduction to astronomy, however these scopes are:

RT-1000/3,7" Achromatic Refractor Telescope (49801)

MT-910/4,5" Newtonian Reflector Telescope (49805)

MT-750/6" Newtonian Reflector Telescope (49810)

MT-800/8" Newtonian Reflector Telescope (49820)

no eyepieces included with any of these which indicates a further clue these are likely to be pricey scopes.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this

The Celestron has a considerably larger aperture, 5 inches rather than 3, which will make a difference. While it's probably not the best 5 inch Newt around, it is from one of the reputable brands.

Hi, yes I believe this to be due to the ability to capture additional light?

Hi, yes I believe this to be due to the ability to capture additional light?

More light is what you want in astronomy. More light = more detail and the ability to see fainter objects.

The larger diameter your main mirror or lens is in a scope, the more light it can collect - thats why for astronomy the phrase "aperture is king" was coined :D

5" of aperture (127mm) is a good place to start but I feel 76mm will leave you wanting for more very rapidly.

Thanks John and cantab

I ended up exchanging the National Geographic Newtonian Telescope 76mm (which I had not opened) for the Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ Reflector Telescope.

Just spend an hour investigating, assembling and disassembling to get a little bit familiar with it. Seems a nice looking piece of kit, however I have not braved the cold for any brief possible opening in the cloud tonight.

I will look forward to getting up and running in the next night or so. Thanks for your replies.

Hi

Ignore the magnifications given for these scopes which are way too high for the respective apertures. The rule of thumb is to magnify a maximum of 2x per mm or 50x per inch of aperture. Out of the two go for the Celestron - larger aperture and well known astronomy brand.

HTH!

Archived