NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light pollution filter for imaging, choices, choices choices...

Flea77

Yes, I have read many other threads but trying to digest all that information and seeing no real consensus I thought I would try to get some more information here. Note that I am interested in imaging only, I don't care how the filters perform in visual because they will never be used that way.

First things first, I have been using an Orion 2" Skyglow Astrophotography filter and have been happy with the results. The problem lies in the threads for the filter, they do not fit correctly. Orion has replaced the filter with a new one which has the exact same problem, so now I am looking for a new filter which will do as good a job or better that has the correct threads.

I know it is the filter threads because the filter does not screw in correctly to my Orion 2" prime focus adapter or my HoTech field flattener, but I have another Baader filter (not a LPF) that screws into both items perfectly.

My choices so far have been paired down to three, which are...

1) Baader Planetarium UHC-S Nebula Filter. This one gets good reviews although comments lead me to believe that this one can cut light substantially to certain types of objects and I am looking for an overall filter I can leave on all the time.

2) Baader Planetarium Moon and SkyGlow Filter. This seems like the most likely candidate. While it seems to help less than #1, it also seems more like a "use all the time" filter that does not hurt imaging of any type of object.

3) Lumicon Deep Sky Filter. I can't find anything negative about this guy at all. The bad is the price, $200us vs about half that for either of the two above. I don't mind paying that if it is worth it.

How did I get to these three? I love the fit and finish of the Baader I have, along with the knurled end for better gripping. In addition it seems tons of people use Baaders and love them. The Lumicon got added to the list because of its perfect reviews I read everwhere. They are all available from suppliers I have had experience with and are all in the US.

So here is where the rubber meets the road so to speak. If you were to buy one of these to shoot all your AP images through, which one an why?

Allan

The Astronomik CLS filter works great for me (I know it's not on your list...)... I think a lot depends on the light pollution you have though. I've found that in some circumstances (slower scopes), the light cut with the CLS can be a bit harsh, and then I use a SW LPR filter (pretty cheap).

I am using an f7 scope so not too slow. I had not really considered the Astronomik but will look into it. I know that the type of light pollution matters which is why I mentioned that I liked the effect of the Orion Skyglow Astrophotography filter in hopes that someone might know which other filter might be comparable.

I would love to just continue using the Orion I have but the threads are a deal killer. Fortunately, Orion support has been awesome and are allowing me to return it (even after 30 days since I have been working with them to find a solution).

Allan

Hey Allan, i have had the same issues with my Orion Skyglow. The threads are very tight, and will not work on some EPs and accessories at all.

For photography, I use the Astronomik CLS, great filter. The fact that it loads directly in the camera eliminates the thread problem, and i can use it with any lens or scope (except the cheapy Canon kit lenses, which protrude into the camera body). I have the Lumicon as well, but just use it for observing.

Joe

Archived