Astrophotography equipment for SW BK 100ED

Dear All,

I'm thinking to add equipment for imaging purpose. My scope is SW BK 100ED. Someone told me that this scope is designed to use diagonal, so if we attach DSLR camera + T-adapter + T-ring directly to the 2" focuser, we won't get focus on the image. Is it true that we have to use Focal reducer for this scope for imaging purpose? I also would like to know quality comparison between Prime focus photography and Eyepiece projection photography.

A retailer offered me 1.25" Orion Universal photo adapter (w/ fixed extension tube), what do you think about this stuff? Or maybe anyone can give me advices about additional aquipment for imaging purpose which are most suitable for my scope? :icon_salut:

Thank you.

Dony

The other night I use the Orion Unversal Variable Adapter and a 25 mm eyepiece inside to capture the moon and Jupiter with no problem. I did not use a focal reducer. I have a 6 inch reflector. However, I put it a 6mm into the adapter and could not see anything. The 6mm has a small opening, maybe that is the reason.

For deep sky don't do anything that would increase the focal length or slow the focal ratio. At F9 it is already very slow. So use prime focus and, ideally, use the focal reducer/field flattener to speed things up and improve image quality off axis.

You usually need a simple extension tube to reach focus without a diagonal.

EP projection or a Barlow can be used to up the image scale for the moon and planets.

DS astrophotography is mostly about the mount. You don't mention what you will be using.

Olly

Dear Olly,

I would like to use the scope for deep sky object and also for planetary.

You stated that I need to have 2" extension tube to reach the focus without diagonal. The Orion 1.25" Universal Camera Adapter is composed of two detachable parts: a T-adapter and a fixed-length or variable extension tube that is usually used to place an eyepiece for projection photography. My question is: Can I reach the focus by attaching this universal adapter directly to 2" focuser + 1.25" adapter because this universal adapter already has extension tube or I need to buy special extension tube for that.

Currently, I only have EQ-5 manual mount, I'm thinking to add RA-motor for imaging purpose.

Thanks,

Dony

Archived