NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M33

26Left

Hello all,

I had a go at M33 a couple of months ago, but was not really satisifed with the result. Since then, I have bought a new camera with much lower noise. Finally, the clouds cleared on Sunday night and I had another go.

This is the result of 4.3 hours of capture, mainly 4 minute subs @ ISO 800, and then 20 darks. Taken through my 5" Meade refractor with a Nikon D7000. M33 is quite a challenge, because it has such a low surface brightness and is just about on the limit of what I can image from my back garden. NELM was about 5; perhaps a little better. Transparency was particularly good.

post-26426-133877699986_thumb.jpg

I think it's amazing that we can capture nebulae within another galaxy.

Cheers,

Tom.

Yes, well done. Pretty strong signal for an object thaat can eat hours as if they were seconds!

Your sky is very black. I wonder if the black point is a little clipped?

Olly

Hi Olly,

Thanks for your comments.

I wish my sky really was that black when I look up ;) I live right on the south-east edge of a town, and the sky in that direction is pretty good, which is good for targets for a few hours as they approach their transit.

But, of course, what you mean is the way it's processed. What I tend to do is bring the sky down to about 15/15/15. I start off by pulling the curve down at the black end, but towards the end of the processing, I clip the black using levels. I never clip the white end.

In this pic, I can see the sky is about 13/13/13. What sort of level would you normally aim for?

Tom.

Archived