NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Need Alt-Az tracking software advice

blusky

Hi all,

While I have given up the idea of converting the Dob to a full goto (because of the high degree of calibration precision required - can otherwise easily resolve to within 2 degrees), am putting together a plan and a list of things for a computerised tracking project.

I need to know how to calculate the required alt-az position in the next 1/10 of a second given current alt-az coordinates and a known latitude/time. Can I tap into the existing software, e.g. Stellarium, and if so then how? Appreciate if anyone can point me towards an algorithm.

The idea is as follows. The user disengages the clutches on the alt-az motors, alignes the scope (roughly) with the object, re-engages the clutches. Manual up/down/left-right adjustments can be made to fine-tune the view. The user then presses the track button. The system takes the reading of the onboard x-y-z compass to within 2 degrees (alternatively, and in the testing phase the user keys in the coordinates of the object being observed). My conjecture is that the relative direction and speed along each axis is not that sensitive to this reading, and the object can remain within the sight for a extended period of time.

Many thanks.

Archived