any advice for a noob?

hello all. im just starting out in the world of astronomy. ive been reading little bits, looking at the sky at night while walking my dog and figuring out whats what (well trying to) with the help of an ipod app.

my mother in-law just bought me my first scope, which i picked, its a sky hawk 114 newtonian. didnt have that much to spend so thought this would be ok to get me going. not allowed to use till christmas tho ha!

i was just wondering where i should start? im wanting to see all the planets if possible and get to know the sky better. ive saved on my comp that moon 100 thing in one of these threads which looks a good thing to try and do.

so if anyone can give me any advise on how to best use my scope and what to get started on it would be much appreciated. thank you in advance.

martin

Very harsh making you wait until Christmas!

You could spend the time reading through the forums on SGL (setting up an equatorial mount might be useful), download Stellarium (free planetarium software) or visit your local library and pick up a few astronomy books (including Turn Left at Orion).

Fingers crossed Christmas night is clear for you :)

i know its killing me having to wait so long (35 days and counting) but gives me time to read alot! im looking through the threads now and stellarium is downloading as we speak, thank you. i am a complete novice so just learned what a nebula is (lol) by reading the threads. ive got a feeling im going to love this hobby! thanks again

Hi and welcome to SGL

The 114 Newt is a good model and size of scope to start with. The only advice I can offer is to get yourself a decent starguide to help you learn the sky, either Stellarium to download onto computer or the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas which can be bought for under a tenner on Amazon.

If you don't already own binoculars then buy a 7x50 or 10x50 model as they are an excellent way to learn the sky and can be used in conjunction with the scope to enhance observing sessions. Decent bins can be picked up for under £50 and don't limit yourself to astro suppliers as Aldi and Lidl stock usable models in the £15-20 price range. A moon filter, red-light torch, warm gloves and hat are the only other accessories you would need until you become more experienced and look to upgrade.

HTH!

i shall be having a look at some books. i got one free with the telescope a philips guide book, not sure which one i also got a planisphere too, are these useful? i have a few torches lying around that i could adapt to a red light or might get myself one of those head ones from go outdoors that somebody mentioned they look good!

im glad you said that my scope is good to start with i done a bit of research and thought that that would be an ok choice!

thanks for your advise.

The Philips starguide and planesphere are both useful accs and can be purchased as part of a starter kit called the AstroBox. Either purchase a redlight torch or convert and existing one with a sweet wrapper of brakelight repair tape as sold by DIY and car accessory shops.

thanks for the advice people! ive just read something in my local town magazine, that there is a public observation coming up at my local planatarium and observation site. so im going to e-mail them to find out more. looks like a regular thing so could be a good thing to go along to! does anyone else go to such places or gatherings?

Archived