Modding the Canon 550d

Can anyone tell me if there is an advantage for me to "moddy" my 550D.

It looks a real scarey thing to do.

I intend taking some images of DSO's amongst other sky things.

I read about some who have and some who haven't.

Some have had better results, some wished they didn't do it. Others are not convinced.

Any advice out there:icon_scratch:

Clear Skys

I'm a complete noob, only had a scope for 2 weeks and I only know what I've read while researching the same subject but as nobody else has replied yet I'll chip in.

If your 550D is your main day time camera then it seems to be a big no no as it can break the auto focus and adds a colour cast to all your pics.

Not doing it means you'll miss out on some of the reds coming from some DSOs.

I want to use my 450D for astro photography but I'm not prepared to lose it's daytime functionality.

I'm sure somebody else will give you a much more knowledgeable response.

All the mods are described on this website where they do them professionally:

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

Give it a good look over cos there are links to sites that describe how to do mods. You can have the red filter removed and or replaced with a UHC filter (ultra high contrast). Or you can use clip filters. As mentioned though - daytime pics will have a red/pink tinge which will have to be adjusted in something like Photoshop.

brantuk, Valley, Thanks guys for your response. My 550D is a brill camera and I do use it a lot for daytime. Far more so than nightime.

With Christmas coming up I think I will be putting a DSLR on the list dedicated to Astrophotagraphy.

Clear Skies and thanks....

Archived