Skywatcher Flextube 200P with Celestron EPs

Hi,

Please forgive me as I know very little about astronomy.

However, my son is keen to pursue this hobby and so I am considering buying him a: SkyWatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube Dob for Christmas, as this would seem to fit the bill in many respects from all the info I have read.

Q? I have been fortunate to have been given a Celestron Eyepiece and Filter kit (94303) and just wanted to know if this is compatible with this Skywatcher?

Advice on this combo much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi, the eyepiece kit will work fine, and seems to have a good range of sizes to give you various magnifications. I have a SW 250P flextube, and use a Celestron 32mm plossl (the biggest in the kit) most of the time for looking at nebulae, galaxies etc. The 17mm will be useful for looking at smaller deepsky objects in more detail, and the others will give some good views of the planets. All of them are likely to be better than the eye pieces supplied with the scope.

As for the scope, I would personally go for the solid tube one if storage space isn't too much of an issue (if you store it upright, the footprint is the same with the tube extended or collapsed), and without the goto or tracking. They are much cheaper, don't need a power supply and I find it more fun to learn the sky than just have the scope find things! The only reason I have a flextube one is because it came up cheap second hand. Only my opinion of course ... :) Either one will be a good scope.

Archived