NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A little advice needed

Hello all,

I decided after much thought to sell my skywatcher 130m newt. I already had in mind that i would like a 120mm refractor (i had one many years ago), and that was the main reason for selling it. I realise i will get a bit of fringing etc. Now however i need a little advice.

I have found this item on ebay, which i may be able to get at a reasonable price (if i can convince the seller to courier it to me), funds are not forthcoming so im on a limited budget but i really want a scope again so i can get back out there.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I know that skywatcher took over helios at some point (i think im right there anyway), but wondered how much difference there is between the one on ebay and this one:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Evostar 120 OTA

It may be a daft question given that one is maybe 10 or so years old and the other is brand new, but to an amateur (at best) astronomer, would i notice much difference? Also the one on ebay comes with a tripod and mount.

Also, what sort of price would be a good one for the ebay one? I thought maybe around the £100 mark, does that sound about right to anyone?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Mark.

My understanding is that you're correct; the telescope tube itself is the same, just a different paint job. Whether quality standards have improved dramatically in the intervening years? Can't help with that one. Maybe someone else will chip in?

Archived