which scope

hi all,just registered wanting to get first scope for my son,wanting to get something pretty decent so i had a browse and found a couple a exolorer 150 pl (eq3-2) a skyliner 200p dobsonian and a Skywatcher 127 Skymax Auto Track Maksutov Telescope,which of these would best suit him or would you recomend something else,cheers.(budget £200-£300)

Both are great scopes for a first scope. So long as it's for observing only and not thinking about imaging they're fine. For imaging you need substantial, accurate, motorised mounts and they start pushing the price up rapidly.

I had a 150P EQ3-2 for my first scope and it was terrific - light and portable - nice views of planets and dso's - and being equatorial I learned about how the Earth moves relative to the stars, and RA/Dec (imho quite important).

The extra aperture of the dob will give you more objects and see deeper into space - but at the same time it works in altitude and azimuth (alt/az) so unrelated to the movement of the heavens.

Both are quick and easy to set up. And both are portable and don't take too much storage space. The EQ3-2 is lighter and breaks down more compactly in three bits as opposed to two bits for the dob. The dob is more solid whereas the EQ3-2 vibrates a bit and might need weighting down in a breeze.

Hope that helps your decision :icon_salut:

Hi Patch58,

Good advice from Brantuk as usual, but has missed the Skywatcher which is a compact scope for its size. There are two versions auto trak and goto not to be mixed up!. This is a great scope for planets but not so good on dso's (deep space objects). You have not said how old your lad is so I would go & have a look at the scopes in an astro shop so you can make an informed decision, especially in relation to their size & weight.

Any of the three would provide a great starting point for your son.

Good Luck with your choice

IMO the 127Mak would make the perfect beginners scope for you and your lad. It's light enough to make it easy to set up, it will give excellent views of the moon, planets and bright deep sky objects like the Orion nebula. For the extra £65 I would opt for the goto version First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO mainly because most kids get impatient and like to see things quickly. It can then be used as a tool to point to where things are and thus he can learn the night sky too. Also, as it tracks the target, with the use of a £40 flashed webcam he could do basic photography of the moon and planets.

• 2 months later...

Hi All. Like so many I to am about to buy my first telescope. I want to see the moon and planets at high detail, but also DSO etc.. in time. I've been looking forward to buying the Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak but have just been looking at the Orion Skyquest Xt8i Intelliscope Dobsonian Telescope. I'm not sure what to expect from each telescope in terms of what I will see in the field of view. Also I like the idea of auto tracking (Skywatcher) and the idea of goto (Dobsonian). I have £400 max to spend and need someone to tell me what to buy. Cheers.

Archived