First scope selection advice

I've been doing a lot of research into buying my first scope in February ( several months away). My plan is to do general observing of the planets and DSO's as well as get into astrophotography. Ap isn't something I'd like to do it is something I will definitely get hooked on. I've loved staring at pics my entire life and would love to start staring at ones I took myself.

After tons of research I am even more confused than when I started. So many options..so much equipment. Where to start? :D

Considering I will be doing visual observation and AP I want to get a decent scope and rock-solid mount to start. From there I can start adding things like autoguiders, etc later.

So far I have 3 options on the table. Any input would be appreciated.

Option 1 - Celestron 800 HD on a CGEM mount. Could only afford the 8" but would be a nice scope for both visual and AP (or so I assume).

Option 2 - Celestron CGEM 925 . About the same price as the 800 HD but is not an aplanatic scope so there would coma near the edges - maybe. I've read rave reviews of this scope and it sounds terrific. Any input on how well this scope would do for AP?

Option 3 - Start with a massive DOB like the Orion XX12g just so I can have an amazing visual observing experience then look to buy a new mount with an AP specific scope later on. This would cost more in the long run (2 grand now and prob 2 grand later) and I would have to worry about collimating the scope which seems like a hassle to me. I do like the idea of a giant light bucket though. :)

Option 4 - Something I have not considered???

Thanks for reading. Any input here would help me start sorting this out. I'll spend the next 3 months bouncing between ideas and reliable input on the matter will help be be more confident when I drop several thousand dollars on the final purchase. :o

Side question: How important are 2" diagonals to AP? I've read you get vignetting with a 1.25".

Option 3 sounds like the best idea. Have a scope dedicated to imaging and one dedicated to visual. You don't need a 12", though. A 10" is plenty big enough. The views are very similar between the two and the 10" will be cheaper and easier to move. Later you get a small refractor on a heavy mount. That would make a good first imaging scope.

Don't worry about collimation. It's quick and easy (once you know how). Certainly it's a lot easier than taking pictures, which is what you eventually want to do. Actually, SCTs need collimation too it's just that they need it much more rarely. The collimation tolerances on a Newtonian are a lot more forgiving because the primary mirror is much slower (larger focal ratio) than an SCT and the Newtonian has a flat secondary. If you own a Newtonian then you'll learn what to do and get good at it.

If you have the money to get both, Option 3 without question. Having a Dob and a dedicated imaging rig is a wonderful combination, just expensive. And collimation is not something to be scared of, it is one more thing to do but it is not brain surgery. You will be more than capable of doing it. Have fun with the scopes you purchase:)

Hi and welcome to SGL

The Dob would be great for learning the night sky and for an all-round observing experience. I don't know why or how but the CPC925 optical setup is slightly different than the 800 and 1100 so is slightly 'better' for AP. Maybe other SGLers can verify this.

HTH!

Here's the problem; big scopes are best for visual use and small ones are best for learning AP and doing it on anything less than a mammoth budget. You could argue that an SCT can do both but it would absolutely not be my choice for the first few years of AP. The reasons are many and varied but briefly; long focal lengths need outstanding tracking/guiding and also nights of good seeing as well as low wind and, clearly, high transparency. This really means you'd do better with a big, premium mount. These come in at 4 times the price of an NEQ6.

So I'd vote for visual Dob and small fast apo refractor on HEQ5 or NEQ6. I'd also vote for monochrome CCD from day one. It's easier (yes!!!) and better. But its more expensive.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/

PS No wedges for me!

Archived