Hello and scope advice

Hello everyone,

I've enjoyed reading the various discussions about which scope is best.

I currently do most of my observing with binoculars and a 60mm refractor from indoors (not ideal I know - I can hear the laughter from here! - but getting safely outdoors isn't an option until the weekends unfortunately).

I would appreciate your views on which scope would be a good upgrade that would improve my views of the planets to show a little more detail such as the bands on Jupiter etc:

1) Skywatcher Capricorn 70mm

2) Skymax 90

3) Skywatcher Startravel 80mm

I mostly look at the moon, planets and some of the brighter clusters and haven't ambitions to see deep sky even when outdoors as I live in the city.

Any opinons or advice on this would be much appreciated especially with the view as to whether a refractor or Mak would perform equally well or badly depending on your opinion from within indoors.

Many thanks

Hi and welcome to SGL

Given your observing interests the 'best' scope would be the Skymax-90. It has the largest aperture of the scopes you mention and the optical setup is suited to planetary and lunar viewing.

Suggested accessories would be a moon filter, colour filters (for planetary viewing), a dew shield and a Barlow lens. If you get the EQ1 mount as part of the bundle you may want to consider an upgrade to something more substantial at a later date.

HTH!

Archived