NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging targets for my first guided session...

rocketandroll

Ok...

so, tonight is the night, gonna get the Lodestar and PHD up and running and get some guided shots for ths first time (hopefully).

Although it adds an extra level of the unknown, and as I now don't have a flattener for the Megrez72, I am going to have to use my f9 RC6 astrograph as the imaging scope... so...

With a few hours of clear dark skies tonight between 8pm and midnight.... what should I try and shoot with a 1.4m fl f9 scope?

I have narrowed it down to:

M27 - (haven't shot any planetary nebuale yet, so would like to get one, but it is below my horizon by about 10:30pm at the latest)

M92 - A lovely looking globular that seems under-imaged and should be pretty cool at 1.4m fl. No idea what length subs to use to get the best out of globs though? Sets about 10:30pm again.

Cocoon nebula - might be a bit feint for an f9 scope but looks nice and big in the fov :-) Stays imagable all night so could get 3hrs or so of data on it.

M81 - having done an unguided M81/82 this summer, I am wondering whether 3hrs+ in 10min subs on M81 by itself would look great at this BIG size? I know i can get all of the galaxy, feint bits included at f7.5 using 50 second subs at ISO800 because I've done it... so 10 minute subs at f9 and ISO800 shoudl give me about 4X as much data per sub.

Double cluster - the perseus double fits perfectly in the full fov of the RC6... might look stunning.... might look a bit dull... dunno?

NGC 891 - I must be mental to even try it... but this is such a beautiful target. I have seen it captured with 60 second subs at f5/ISO800. Just maybe, with 10 minutes at ISO1600 I might get it showing up at f9?

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried any of these targets at f8 or above?

Cheers all :-)

Ben

My first guided image was M27 a few weeks ago, although not with as long a focal length as yours, just 750mm with an Explorer 150p.

I started with 5 min subs as quite a few people seem to do and shot at ISO800, I think it came out nicely for a first go with guiding http://www.flickr.com/photos/52009962@N05/6202933549/in/photostream

When you say it disappears behind your horizon is that to say it hides behind something like your house? As I’m sure it’s still pretty high until late. The moon still quite bright but not up tonight until 11ish so that might be something to consider.

What did you go for in the end Ben?

I'm curious to know more about these 6" RC's. They appear a good price and for small chip cameras with a decent focal reducer might be quite workable for certain bright but small objects.

I'd have a crack at M82 rather than M81. There appears to be so much more going on in there and would probably suit the longer focal length as it looks to be more to do with detail rather than wispiness.

M1 would be the other candidate for a nice big focal length. :)

Archived