NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Last Night (2 Oct 2011)

rabbithutch

Walked out last night to put the trash out (bins by the curb) and noticed that Jupiter looked as if I could reach out and touch it. The skies were deep, dark, unclouded, clear and magnificent. I stood there agape when an orange light streaked across the sky roughly from South to North. The time must have been about 2300 hours UTC -6. I wasn't able to get the scope out, but last night was probably the best seeing here in at least a year.

The meteor or space trash (or whatever it was) appeared as a group of small lights, as if someone had thrown a handful of pieces across the sky.

It makes one feel truly blessed when a tiny instant in time yields such a spectacular display - doubly impressive because it was total serendipity.

Hi There,

Just returned from Numberland last week and we ran the dogs on the beach late in the evening, Jupiter was a brilliant object over a sea horizon. A lovely moment

Cheers

PS Bob.

Did you get yor cleaning kit??.

Howdy Damian!

Dogs on the beach AND Jupiter. Sounds a perfect evening to me.

I learned that the Royal Mail or the US Postal Service will not allow the fluid to be mailed legally - a fallout from terrorism.

I guess I'll just have to wait until I can go to the UK or Germany myself. Wouldn't want to put anyone afoul of the law.

Thanks for asking.

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about the restriction, I don't think the pooches (three setters) were worried about Jupiter just getting as wet and sandy as possible!!.

Though there have been a couple of threads on sgl regarding Jupiter being mistaken for a distress flare!!

Cheers

Damian

Archived